Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Fencing Upgrade

My fencing teacher is starting up a Competition class in July: two hours a week plus additional out-of-class bouting, and I'd have to upgrade to electric fencing gear. My classmates in the intermediate class are trying to get me to commit, and (despite my general horridness as a fencer) I'm inclined to do so. My objection to bouting (where the real experience and practice comes in) has always been the cultural one of having to insert myself into a group of people I don't know and say "Hey, me next!" which I am generally (don't laugh) too shy to do. But this class will remove that objection, since I'll be working with people I mostly know, and won't have to feel like I'm forcing myself into the class. The question comes down to: do I want to spend the money, do I want to spend the time, and how much of an appetite for public humiliation in the cause of improvement do I have? I'm thinking the answers are going to be yes, yes, and Oh, what the hell.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jonquil said...

::waves a banner with a strange device::

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh, what *is* that device, anyway? Looks like a cross between an andiron and a can-opener, only with an extra prong.

---L.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Jonquil said...

I'm pretty sure it's for taking stones out of mammoths' hooves.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

It's a Popeil MultiTool. It slices, dices, polishes the toenails of hummingbirds, removes stones from the hooves of mammoths and mules, and makes julienne fries. If you're very careful you can use it to scratch your back.

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home