Sunday, May 14, 2006

Dia de las Madres

We broke the tradition today because YG had a sleepover last night in Orinda (and a "baby shower for the homeless" Scouts event at 11 am today). So I was taken out to a lovely breakfast by Sarcasm Girl and the Spouse, then drove out to Orinda, listening to The Golden Compass, which I have not read; captured the girl, drove her to her Scout event, then came home in time to be whisked off to a movie by the Spouse (MIssion Impossible: 3--probably the best line is when Our Hero tells his new wife about his profession. "I work for an agency called the IMF." "What does that stand for?" "Impossible Mission Force." "No, really." "Really!") Now the family is making dinner (with only minimal input from me) and I am drinking a glass of wine and updating my blog. It's been un-San Francisco-like weather: over 80 degrees, and sunny--which seems like a kindly gesture from the Gods, but more likely a sinister sign of global warming. Tonight I'm going to watch the series finale of The West Wing and dream of alternate universes.

Joyous Mother's Day to all of you who are, or have, mothers. Also aunts, cousins, sisters, and daughters.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gregory Feeley said...

Hey, good to see you back.

So "MI:3" is as lame as people seem to be hoping it is?

6:58 PM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

I dunno. It's enjoyable fluff--moves too fast for you to think about all the sillyness while it's happening, and the bits we did catch were good for snickers. A fine dumb movie for a warm Sunday afternoon.

My father, my brother and I were Sunday night devotees of the original series, and what the new movies lack is that sense of a big, elaborate con. There are a couple of smaller cons in this one, but no big Omigod moments. I miss that from this franchise.

Tom Cruise takes a beating well, and Philip Seymour Hoffman quietly blows everyone else in the movie away--except Ving Rhames. I really love Ving Rhames.

11:25 PM  
Blogger Gregory Feeley said...

I hear that the studio knew the movie was in trouble when, during an advance showing, the audience cheered Cruise's beating.

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home