Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Scary Treats

So I stopped off at Safeway last night, on my way back from a school meeting that wasn't (short story: meeting at 7:30 turned out to have been at 7:30am, dammit). The lines, which were very long for 8pm, wound past the ice cream locker, and I was examining the different sorts of ice cream and "novelties" available--Haagen Dasz bars, Ben and Jerry cones, Whole Fruit juice bars, Scooby Doo Push-up Pops...and then I saw it. Fear Factor Push Up Pops: sour sherbet with either a sherbet "eyeball" set in it, or with what looks like ribbons of sherbet blood streaming down it. It's the faux gross out that sells: the flavor is strawberry or lemon or something like that; only the appearance is troubling. If you're going for true gross-out, wouldn't it make more sense to have classic-looking ice cream novelties with surprise flavors like liver or dust-bunny?

2 Comments:

Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

Yay! Missed you here!

There's something very Harry Potter about a liver flavored ice lolly.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

I did have Bertie Botts running through my head. "Alas. Earwax."

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home