Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Fog

I have tried, honestly I have. But the next time someone who learns of our relatively recent relocation from New York to San Francisco tells me that I must love the weather here, I'm going to strangle him/her with his own Timberlake fleece vest. We are just over the fog line between Noe Valley and the Mission, where the sun often shines, and the ridiculously named Sunnyside, where the fog in summer just sits and sits like a malevolent gray brainsucking monster. It is cold. If I want to drive over to the bay-side, say, around Burlingame, there's sun. If I want to go downtown or to Potrero Hill, there is more likely to be sun. If I wanted to go to day camp in Orinda with Emphatic Girl, I'd be at a toasty 90 degrees most of the time. But here it has been gray for days, and even when it's not gray, it's cold. Windy. Not T-shirt weather, at least not if you're me and have sluggish circulation. And these days and days of grayness are wearing on me, to the point where I wonder if I'm developing Seasonal Affect Disorder.

I don't gotta love the weather. I have to put up with it, but that's a whole different thing. Pfui.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jonquil said...

When you say "California", people tend to think of the SoCal they see in the movies. San Francisco in August? Not so much with the beach babes, unless they're wearing wool from bonnet to stockings.

I love the City, but as a tourist; I live down in the Valley. (Hang your head over, hear the housing bubble grow...)

10:43 PM  
Blogger TwosTools said...

...and no one ever believes me when I say San Francisco is cold. Sounds like you need to find a nice writing hole somewhere just outside of the fog pocket. A regular date with the sunshine is always a good thing in my opinion, even if it means you commute to your coffeehouse.

e of the sTools

9:56 AM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

Today was better. I found a Starbucks in Potrero Hill where there was a little sun. Fitfully.

I don't mind dreary weather--hell, in the east in winter you can go days without anything like sun. But you go into your nice overheated apartment and it's warm. I just miss my toes so...they're always iced up and AWOL.

Jonquil: which Valley?

11:04 AM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

I should add that Sarcasm Girl loves the fog. Loooooves it, loves it loves it. Good for her.

The sun is shining in the yard today, but it's still cold.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Jonquil said...

Why, Silicon Valley. (Is calling the Peninsula the Valley as great a crime as calling San Francisco Frisco?) Right around the middle, near Redwood City.

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I looooooved the fog too, when we lived in Berkeley, and I was a few years younger than Sarcasm Girl.

---L.

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home