Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Beyond Cool

I am a big fan of space exploration. You know: child of the 50s-60s, one of those who watched every Mercury, Gemini and Apollo launch. I wept at the Apollo-Soyuz mission (hey, look, id we can't have peace on Earth, maybe we can achieve it in space!) and still feel awe at the fact that we've made it off the planet and--robotically, anyway--to Mars. So of course I think that these photos of the NASA probe with the Tempel comet are extraordinarily cool.

I have to add, in the interest of equal time, that last week when YG was doing her summer workbook, she had to read and comment on an article on John Glenn. One question was: "Do you think John Glenn was a hero? Explain your answer." YG's response was: "I do not think he is a hero, because the world could live without space travel."

Well, maybe, kid. But I'm not convinced.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take away the space program and there go all our personal computers....

Yes, the species could live without space travel, and did so for a very long time. It also did without antibiotics, germ theory, clean water, etc.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

I'm a big fan of Mod Cons. In addition to laptops (without which YG would be bereft) there are all sorts of things I treasure about living now. Indoor plumbing, painless dentistry, reasonably risk-free childbirth are only a few of them.

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home