Thursday, June 23, 2005

Public Access Fantasy

No, I don't mean a kind of made-in-your-basement fan-fic video. Although this might be considered its kin. A few local women are doing a public access show in San Francisco in which two apparently naked women lie in bed, reading aloud from works of fantasy such as Lord Foul's Bane. They discuss the book being read--or at least make a stab and understanding it (I cannot read Donaldson, having tried when the books first came out, so if Julie and Heatherly can make head or tales of his work, they're one up on me). Apparently they occasionally invite others to share the bed and discussion.

The article describes Bane as "a kind of Everest of the fantasy genre." I think that's giving the book too much credit. It's not as laughably terrible as H.C. Turk's Black Body, which constitutes an entire mountain range of impenetrable language and plot, but I can't imagine reading it just because it's there, either.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the "apparently" naked part that gets me. Trying to half it both ways and falling haveway between two stools? (To man-mangle a metasomething.)

---L.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

The "apparent" nature of the nakedness is that they lie in bed with covers pulled up under their arms, all naughty bits covered, but the suggestion is that there is no other clothing worn under the covers.

The show's motto says it all: "Two girls in bed, ill-equipped to handle fantasy novel concepts." Minimalism rules; hilarity reigns.

I shall have to check this out and report back.

7:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm trying to think of what the Everest of Fantasy might be? All of the Robert Jordan Wheel of Time novels? Gormhengast? I mean, the point of Everest is that it's high, right? K2 is harder.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

The Everest of Fantasy--well, Gormenghast might do it. Is it a matter of difficulty or poundage? And does nakedness really make one "ill-equipped to handle fantasy novel concept?" And what concepts would those be? I mean, the concepts of Kushiel's Dart are different from those of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell are different from Piers Anthony. At least, I hope so. (I dunno. Piers Anthony might be improved by reading while naked, but then, I am not a fan.)

10:22 PM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

Yeah, I know. I put the site together a long time ago, a friend updated it a little a few years later, and it is woefully behind the times. I'm looking for a Mac-friendly idiot-proof piece of web-design software, and an hour or seven in which to redesign and update the site.

In the meantime, the current e-dress is Madrobins@comcast.net.

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home