Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Mommy Brain

I was reflecting this morning about this week, which looks to be another logistical logjam chez nous, what with all the kids' activities, Spouse's work schedule, and oh, yeah, my fencing class and writers' workshops, the field trip I'm chaperoning, a possible haircut so I can look less like a rumpsprung rain forest (honest, my hair needs trimming) for Baycon, and so on. It was lucky, I thought to myself, that I got my degree in theatre, concentrating on stage management, which gave me the juggling skills I've used in every job I've ever had, including my current Mommy Gig. On the other hand, between encroaching maturity, the lingering effects of the move west, and the unceasing chaos of life, I frequently think I'm just leaking brain cells everywhere. Which is why I enjoyed reading This Is Your Brain on Motherhood , an op-ed piece in today's New York Times. Approaching a lot of the challenges of parenthood from Ellison's perspective, damn if I don't suddenly feel more competent! Still harried, yes, but like maybe I haven't been hit with the Stupid Stick. Nice, for a Monday morning.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave Smeds said:

Oh, you're showing up at Baycon? I'll be there on Saturday and Sunday. It's the only "regular" (i.e. not media, not comics, not gaming) con left to us Bay Area folk these days, so I try to make it every year. Hope to see you there.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

I'll be there Saturday and Sunday. With the Younger Child in tow. See you there, I'm sure.

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home