Tuesday, April 05, 2005

I am a Geek

Last night, once the girls had been strong-armed into bed, Spouse and I sat down like old married people (I with my knitting in my lap) and did some channel surfing before landing on the last third of the first X-Men movie. I had seen it before, Spouse had not. So I found myself filling him in, not only on the plot points of the film, but the backstory from the comics. I've got some excuse: I worked in the industry for three years, and was a long-time comics reader. Still, being able to explain the underlying tension of civilization versus instinct in Wolverine is not necessarily something I'd put on my resume. Sometime mid-sentence I stopped, put my head on his shoulder and murmured, "I'm such a geek. I'm glad you love me." To which he (properly trained fellow) replied, "I love you because you're such a geek."

2 Comments:

Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

Oh man, do I know this feeling. Bob found on the internet, a version of "The Trouble With Tribbles" done in Klingon, with leggos for ships and characters. He explained to me how in the end of this Klingon version, the tribbles lead to the Klingons inventing the cloaking device.

I said, "But the Romulans invented the cloaking device."

God save me.

5:59 AM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

God save us all. Of course, Spouse, former recording-engineer (who hears things that only dogs and other recording-engineers hear) can pick out minutiae in old Beatles albums that I can't even hear. We are all Geeks, we just choose different domains of Geekdom.

For what it's worth, I knew the Romulans invented the cloaking device. But I'll bet that the Klingons would like to take credit for it. Spouse, who spent all the hours he wasn't in the recording or TV studio at college watching classic Trek reruns, is much more of a Geek about Star Trek than I am....

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home