Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Sassing the Teachers

Ah, Florida, the home of cutting-edge legislation. Rep. Dennis Baxley of the state legislature has introduced a bill that would permit college students who feel their beliefs are not being respected in class to sue their teachers.

I dunno. I'm not sure I'd want a doctor who had passed Biology only because she'd sued the professor for bypassing "Intelligent Design" in his discussion of evolution. Never mind the havoc this would play with First Amendment rights.

I stand four square in favor of no one being made fun of by their teachers, and I never much liked those teachers who used ridicule as a teaching tactic. But having to add "or intelligent design" every time you say the word evolution is like something out of a Monty Python sketch. I cannot imagine trying to teach that way. Maybe that's what Baxley and his pals are after?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home