Saturday, March 26, 2005

This Bird Has Flown

Far too early today (like, 4:30) we woke up, got dressed, and took YG to the airport. She is now in the air, and should be touching down there at about 3:40 eastern time, or 12:40 here. I will be rather tenterhook-ish until then, but I am heading off to my writers' workshop, a little bleary from the interrupted sleep, but happy she's having her adventure.

Sarcasm Girl has a broad, sorietal mushy streak, and rode back in the car crooning, "Oh, I hope she's okay! I'm scared for her! What if someone steals her! She's my baby sister!" But YG revealed little trepidation, just excitement. Spouse was the one who got to put her on the plane; I get to pick her up (the only allow one person to go through security and wait at the gate) on Thursday night. As YG and her dad walked off to check her bag with the curbside guy she turned, braids flying, and gave one last emphatic wave of pleasure and farewell. I miss her already.

UPDATE: The Beagle has Landed. And been retrieved from the gate by her Grandma. A sigh of relief is heard.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gregory Feeley said...

Is this a one- or a two-week break, Mad? (A single week seems hardly worth the air fare.)

9:44 AM  
Blogger Gregory Feeley said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

One week, and the kid is only there for five days. Any longer and I suspect that the visit would not be so pleasurable for all concerned. The inlaws live in a retirement community which is fine for a few days, but would be oppressive for more, and they are (at 87 and 80 respectively) good for a day of running around, then need a day to recoup before they run around again. Five days was about right.

Yesterday YG called to complain that she was bored. Then to tell me that she missed my face. I suggested that she look at some of the pictures Grandma and Grandpa have; I'm in there somewhere.

"That doesn't work! All those pictures are old and decrepit. Like you!"

In the background I hear Grandpa asking if I'd like him to spank her for me. Said no, just hit her upside the head six or seven times with a mallet and that would do.

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home