Monday, March 21, 2005

Meddling

I hope that I never have to go through what Bob and Mary Schindler, the parents of Terri Schiavo, have been going through for the past 15 years. I hope my children outlive me in health and joy. But I also hope that if one of them was in a persistent vegetative state with no hope of recovery, I could let them go with some grace. I feel terrible for these people, whose anguish is very real, but I wish they could let their daughter go.

And I cannot believe that the party that wants to get the government off people's backs has pushed a billthrough Congress and gotten it signed by the President, all to keep this poor machine running a little longer. I was not surprised to see Randall Terry speaking in the Schindler's behalf. It seems to me that there's a segment of the population which is very tender about saving the lives of the unborn and the essentially dead, but utterly callous about the lives of people who are actually up and walking around, starving, un-educated, and in a state of misery.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gregory Feeley said...

So what thoughtful, nuanced comment is Terry Randall making? "Don't let the Democrats abort Terri Schiavo"?

8:32 AM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

Essentially, that this life is sacred, regardless of what the Godless say. I'm not sure I heard him mention precisely who the Godless were, but I'm pretty sure he meant the Democrats, all liberals, and me.

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home