Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Oh, Excellent

Astute visitors will have realized that I'm not from around here (by which I mean California, not the Internet). We moved here two and a half years ago, and there are still days when I pine for New York City. But there are days when I'm happy as pie to be here, and today, reading about Judge Richard Kramer's ruling overturning California's ban on same-sex marriage' is one of them.

Sometimes I think perhaps I'm just floating off on my leftie-liberal cloud, and am completely out of touch with the opinions of the rest of the world. As I was driving YG to school this morning and listening to people calling in to KFOG, mostly to despair of the ruling, I decided to get the youth view, and asked her what she thought about all this gay marriage business.

"Well, they love each other, don't they? Then they should get the same rights, because we're all supposed to have the same rights." And what about same sex couples having children? "Do they love the children?" she asked, quite reasonably. "If they love the children, they should have them. And pets, too."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hadn't realized attempts to prevent gays from keeping pets was in the offing. ::tries to imagine trying to ban lesbians from having cats::

::fails::

---L.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

YG is desperate to have a pet. Preferably a dog (since we're all allergic to cat dander, and my last cat went off to live in the Bronx when Spouse's doctor told me I had make a choice between the two of them) but anything cute and furry will do.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

It's a comment that does seem to put a certain common sense perspective on it all.

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home