Monday, February 28, 2005

Logistics

Every so often a day--or a week--is so jam-packed with events that it makes my head spin. Especially when some of the participants in the events insist on piling melodrama and insanity on top of the usual chaos. I do not think of our family as one of those that obsessively over schedules the kids--I think kids need down time, even boredom time. It fosters creativity and bedevilment. But looking over the list I begin to feel a little faint. Sarcasm Girl has two voice lessons, a doctor's visit, and an audition (at one point she made my heart stop by reminding me that she had an orthodontist appointment this week--which she doesn't. It's in March). YG has her first softball practice of the season, a guitar lesson, and karate. I have fencing and a small local convention, Potlatch--also a stint on Friday night answering phones at San Jose's public TV station phonathon (MWA is sending a bunch of the local members). When the principal at YG's school told me today that there are two afterschool meetings this week, I balked and said I could make one and not the other.

Finally, I literally sat down and plotted out the week and who was taking whom where. It will all get done, and no one will be horribly shortchanged, but I have to say that never in my fondest dreams did I imagine that parenthood would require me to map out my movements like Napoleon marching on Russia.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ken Houghton said...

I hope your results are better than his.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

From your mouth to God's ears.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

I blame the father. It was all his idea.

Actually, so far the week is working; everyone has gotten where they need to get. However, I hadn't factored in the crown I'm getting put in on Friday, right before the KTEH gig. As long as they don't expect me to smile broadly...

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home