Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Politics, Briefly

Bush's second term has started out with all sorts of pre-Iraq-style rumblings from the White House, focused on Iran. I suppose it is predictable (I mean, our invasion of Iraq has been such a success, why shouldn't we go make the world safe for Democracy somewhere else?). What I hadn't heard about until this morning's Chronicle was this. We're just warning everyone, aren't we? I'm particularly piqued by the fact that Bush admonished Russia to work harder at democracy as part of a trip meant to repair some of the damage done by our invasion of Iraq. Way to mend fences!

2 Comments:

Blogger Ken Houghton said...

Have to dissent here. I'd rather have a reality-based "Russia needs to be a better democracy" than the "I have seen into his soul, and it is as foul and black as mine" of 2001.

Besides, Putin knows better than to take seriously what was clearly intended as a sop to European public opinion.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

I simply dislike sabre-rattling, no matter who its intended to appease. And given this administration's track record...

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home