Sunday, September 17, 2006

Felon Puppy

I was unaccountably sleepy this afternoon and had dozed off shortly before Sarcasm Girl took the Em-dog out for a drag. I woke when she returned, dashing up the stairs demanding to talk to me. "It's really important!" she said gravely. So I prised my eyes open and asked what the problem was.

Apparently, she took the dog down the street to the corner store so she could buy a Mocha Frappucino. On the way, Emily and SG fell into conversation with a couple of people at a table at one of the local coffee-and-breakfast joints. The couple were much taken with Emily's beauty and charm, and SG was much taken with their admiration of our dog, and no one noticed, until it was in her mouth and half-gobbled down, that the dog was eyeing one woman's grilled cheese sandwich.

Fortunately the people seemed to think this was charming, too. (You can get away with a lot when you're young and cute, I'll tell you). Sarcasm Girl, apparently under the impression that a grilled cheese sandwich might poison the dog, dragged her home forthwith to report to me. Since that time Emily has had an outing to the dog park where she ran her skinny butt off; she is now lying asleep by my side, alive-alive-o, but, it must be admitted, not as ravenous as she would ordinarily be at this hour.

3 Comments:

Blogger Megaera said...

heh. Chcolate: toxic to dogs, grilled cheese sandwich: dee-licious snack. Chocolate is all that's super bad...oh and onions. Other than that, dogs can pretty much snarf down whatever people food they can steal. Some dogs CAN develop a grain allergy though, so try for the Atkin's diet of doggie/people food.

12:07 AM  
Blogger Derryl Murphy said...

Grapes are also not good for dogs. Ours has lately taken a liking to banana and raw brocolli.

D

9:25 AM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

Raisins and grapes can be fatal, I understand. Onions likewise (I think they cause liver failure). A friend's dog once scarfed down a bag of Scharffenberger cocoa nibs and survived--after he was given a bowl of hydrogen peroxide, which made him puke the whole mess up. What I find fascinating is not that the dog ate the chocolate, but that it willingly drank a bowlful of peroxide.

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home