Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Things I Like About San Francisco #1

Okay, we've lived here three years, and I still have a love-hate thing going with my new city. This is more about me than the city: living here is (for me) a bit like wearing a dress that is too small or too tight--people tell me what a great dress it is, but that doesn't make it fit any better.

Still, we own a house here, my kids are in school here, we're not going anywhere soon. So, in the interest of accentuating the positive, I'm going to try to keep a list of things I like about living here, and see if I can come up with one a day until I reach 100.

Today's Thing? When you're driving through the streets you'll see signs pointing to the nearest Public Library. As a fan of public libraries and as a writer, I'm very much in favor of letting everyone know where to find them.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jonquil said...

I remember this feeling well when I lived in Charlotte, NC.

Alas, the only long-term solution for me was to move. I hope this doesn't prove true for you -- I like having you here!

To your list I'd add, being able to buy a choice of spectacular breads at an ordinary grocery store. I used to drive across town to get to the only good bakery. Before that, my husband used to spend 12 hours baking baguettes every weekend.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

Suddenly so hungry for bread.

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[threadjack] On behalf of those of us desirous of sending fanmail on _Petty Treason_, I think it incumbent on me to mention that the e-mail address on your webpage seems to be down. FYI.

-Mark Shawhan

5:47 PM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

**hangs head in shame**

Yeah, that website is horrifically out of date. I think the e-dress there is, like, from when we lived in NYC. I need (in my copious spare time) to learn to make changes, like to update the email address. You can reach me at madrobins@comcast.net.

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home