Sunday, January 15, 2006

One Way to Solve a Problem

I have been trying to get Sarcasm Girl to do as much of her homework downstairs, away from her computer, as possible. Why? Who among us is not prey to the siren call of the internet? There's a reason her Mama does a lot of her work in coffee shops that don't have WiFi. Still, the kid likes to have music while she works, which is a reasonable request. Today, on my way out the door to buy weatherstripping (I know, my life is an unparallelled round of joy, in't it?) I suggested that she use her Christmas money to buy herself an iPod. I have made this suggestion several times, but today it lodged. Much jumping up and down and chortling. I go out and buy her an iPod Nano (2 gig...the kid's not made of money) for which I will be instantly reimbursed. Spouse calls just after I've made the purchase and points out that Emphatic Girl, reasonably or otherwise, is going to feel very deprived that everyone (meaning Spouse and SG) has an iPod except her. I point out that she has some Christmas money too, and could afford an iPod Shuffle. Again: Oh, joy! Rapture! So I have to go back to the bemused man and buy another iPod.

It's damned near miraculous. SG finished her Modern World homework without a murmur, sitting downstairs at the dining room table; she's now doing a biology lab report. YG did a chore when she was asked, without demur. If I'd known this would be the effect of technology I'd have had them issued MP3 players at birth.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, the power of bribery.

---L.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

I prefer to think of it as diversion...

8:21 AM  
Blogger Derryl Murphy said...

Aidan will be getting one from his uncle come birthday time, apparently. I anticipate much loud singing with background music only he can hear. And consequently many complaints from his brother.

D

6:42 PM  
Blogger Gregory Feeley said...

Yeah, but what happens next year, when you will be able to log on via your iPod?

7:07 AM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

Am I the only person who doesn't want to be that connected?

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home