Friday, January 06, 2006

A Pleasant Absence of Noise

For about the last month, the garage door opener has been getting increasingly creaky. Half the time it wouldn't open, or required jiggering. The thing was probably installed in 1985; when you opened the garage door the whole house thundered and shook. So finally we called the repairman, who diagnosed a burned out clutch. Had to replace the engine. $422 including tax. So this morning he came and did the work, and we have a new garage door opener and...Wow. Like, it's almost noiseless. Until now, when someone came home with the car, everyone else in house knew it because of the thunder of the garage door opener; now we'll be able to sneak up on each other. Is this a good thing? I dunno. But the absence of noise is splendid.

4 Comments:

Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

We have a new garage door opener too! It's amazing! Ours stopped dead. I am old enough not to think of garage door openers as essential for living, but I had forgotten what it was like to get out in the rain and the snow and open the garage door. (In our case, every time the garage door closed it latched from the inside, so putting the car away meant going in through the house into the garage, disengaging the latch and opening it up.)

Congratulations on your new, silent garage door opener!

4:44 PM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

I'm likewise old enough to feel vaguely guilty about using an electric door opener, but we're on a busy street and have no driveway, so if I have to stop, get out, go round inside (because ours is latched inside too) and open it, I'd stop traffic for an unconscionable time. So...I'm happy to have the new, fully functioning and quiet opener, and I'll try to make fuel economies elsewhere.

Congrats on your garage door opener. We seem linked by odd household circumstance.

11:11 PM  
Blogger Derryl Murphy said...

You'd think here in Dead of Winter Land I'd have a garage so I could brag about a new opener, but no, I get to park in a car port, and brush off the snow every morning. Life is so unfair.

D

1:25 PM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

It's tragically unfair, Derryl. If I ran the world, you'd certainly have a garage and a 20-year-old Genie opener to replace.

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home