Friday, July 29, 2005

Chickie Done Fly

This morning we all rose up early so I could drive Emphatic Girl down to San Mateo to get the bus for her eight days at Camp Sugar Pine. Within two minutes of reaching the bus pick up point she had found her favorite counselor from last year (her nom de Girl Scouts is Sunshine) and within another 15 minutes a friend from last year had arrived and they were thick as thieves. About ten minutes before I left, she bounced off the bus into my arms and announced that she had been made Sunshine's assistant, that her new camp name is Hamster, and that she had already cheered up two girls who had been crying and anxious. By the time they reach the camp, I fully expect the child to be running things.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do the rest of us get to call her Hamster Girl? (Does Sarcasm Girl?)

---L.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

This remains to be seen. I've een calling her Hamster for years, but only because she just doesn't seem like a gerbil.

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does she stuff her cheeks?

---L.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Janni said...

The camp name thing is a mystery to me.

I know it begins with counselors who prefer not to give out their real names, but it's unclear why. Because it's fun? Because they don't want the campers to be able to hunt them down with bitter accusations years later?

9:34 AM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

When I asked the question I was told it was because it is fun, which as reasons go is unassailable, but I sort of wonder if it's the whole unassailable answer.

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home