Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Vampire Morning

I gave blood this morning, a thing I do whenever they call (which just happens to be every eight weeks). I won't go so far as to say I enjoy it, but, it is a relatively painless way to feel like you're helping the world. Go in, fill out the form, get my iron level tested, answer questions meant to determine whether I'm HIV positive but don't know it, then have the phlebotomists exclaim over my veins, which apparently are droolsome, if you're into veins. They draw a pint of blood, I have a cup of tea, I walk out whistling, and get a not-entirely spurious sense of virtue for an hour. It's not a bad trade off, when you think of it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

I always liked giving blood for that felling of having done something good and meaningful.

I'm sorry that I can't give anymore.

6:55 AM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

I think you've done your part, Maureen.

Oddly, both the Spouse and the girls are totally icked out by the idea. I understand the kids--when you're little there's something scary about casually giving away a bit of yourself to a stranger--but his attitude eludes me. In the same way, I have an organ donor sticker on my driver's license, the very idea of which squicks him out mightily. My feeling is, if I'm dead and can still help someone else out, why not?

I do walk away from the Blood Center with a faint buzz of virtue--or maybe that's just the blood loss?

9:36 AM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

I should note that, having given this post the title "Vampire Morning" I keep hearing the words set to the tune of Joni Mitchell's "Chelsea Morning." I am resisting the impulse to filk. Pray for strength.

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home