Tuesday, November 08, 2005

The Subway Gunman Wants Your Vote

Via Derryl Murphy, The Banterist has a Superficial Voter's Guide - NYC 2005. It's all comic enough--but what floored me was the appearence, two thirds of the way down the page, of Bernard Goetz. That's right--the "subway gunman" who shot down four Black kids who threatened him on the subway two decades ago, is now running for Advocate in NY City.

This is the sort of thing which makes me feel like I'm living in a bad Heinlein novel.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What would it feel like to live in a good Heinlein novel?

---L.

7:04 AM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

I was thinking specifically of the "World Going to Hell in a Handbag" culture stuff he would throw into the beginning of chapters in his later works--the "starlet announces plan to have perfect baby" stuff. Living in a good Heinlein novel would, I guess, entail living in a world where everyone could do quadratic equations while making an omelet and practicing rational anarchy.

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm. I can do quadratic equations, though my omelets get a bit scrambled if I try to solve them at the same time. But I prefer my anarchy not rational but whimsical.

Which I suppose is my way of saying "Vote for the goldfish."

---L.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

What's the goldfish's platform?

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home