Thursday, April 28, 2005

Yay

Tonight was the last session of the two month Intermediate Fencing class (which I have now taken four times). At the last class we always fence live--which is to say, with electric scoring. It's a complex thing to get ready to fence electric: you have to put the foil-end of the wire down the sword-hand sleeve of your fencing jacket, then wear a lamé--a metallic over jacket--to which you attach another lead from the wire; the last lead plugs into a cord which links you to the scoring mechanism. Finally you plug the first lead into the sword. Then you check to make sure that a hit can be scored: each person pokes their opponent in the chest to make sure that the hit sets off the alarm. Of course, if something's not working (like, if the lamé you're using is too worn out--the usual problem) you have to undo almost everything and redo it.

Anyway, tonight I fenced three bouts. I won two of them: 5-2 and 5-1. Last time we fenced electric I won one bout out of three, 5-4. So, yay.

2 Comments:

Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

If you win all three bouts do they make you take advanced?

8:08 AM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

There is no advanced class--which is why you can keep taking intermediate over and over. When you leave the intermediate class you're expected to drop in to bout with people on an as-available basis, and perhaps to take private lessons. I am not there yet--in part because I'm simply not aggressive enough. On the day when I can start a war with a neighboriing country in Civilization II, rather than just reacting when someone attacks me, then I may be ready to start private tuition. I'm hell on parrying, though.

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home