Monday, January 24, 2005

Now We Are Tween...

Emphatic Girl (aka Younger Girl) turns nine today. As it happens, the school district declared today a Staff Development Day, so she gets the day off as well as presents (she now has all the Series of Unfortunate Events books, a karaoke machine, hoop earrings, and a cookbook, and a gift certificate from iTunes). What none of us had expected is that all the venues in which she's registered online (Neopets, Willie Wonka.com, etc.) have little congratulatory screens and messages for her, celebrating her birthday. And she loves this a lot; already I have been called in to the other room to look at several different birthday screens.

I know that this is a simple programming thing--every Neopets member who has a birthday today got the same screen--but it has delighted the kid in the simplest way. And now she's in there singing old Motown hits on the karaoke machine.

6 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Davis said...

Happy birthday to her!

9:10 AM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

She says, "Thank you! Do I know him? Does he know me?" I should add that this is EG's usual response when I mention an adult. Ah, to be nine again. My assumption is always that no one knows me...

12:42 PM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

She doesn't know me but she's famous because she appears on your blog.

Happy birthday from me to her, too!

3:35 PM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

She recognized your name from the blurb you gave me on The Stone War, Maureen. Bec should be a publicist. Maybe she will be. Whenever we go into a store she has to be stopped from upbraiding the salesclerks if my books aren't on display...

5:39 PM  
Blogger Ken Houghton said...

No, no, anything but a PUBLICIST!

Happy Birthday (presumably belated) to the BecMonster. May she have as many awards as her father and accolades as her mother.

But she still doesn't need to watch Joan of Arcadia...

5:20 AM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

No, it's her sister who has to watch Joan of Arcadia.They are all at school/work today. Perhaps I will get some work done. That would be nice.

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home