Saturday, September 03, 2005

Anne Rice Says It

I've never been a big Anne Rice fan. I found Interview with the Vampire just readable, and it was downhill from there. I realize her work may not be my cuppa. But this piece is right on target:
"But to my country I want to say this: During this crisis you failed us. You looked down on us; you dismissed our victims; you dismissed us. You want our Jazz Fest, you want our Mardi Gras, you want our cooking and our music. Then when you saw us in real trouble, when you saw a tiny minority preying on the weak among us, you called us 'Sin City,' and turned your backs. Well, we are a lot more than all that. And though we may seem the most exotic, the most atmospheric and, at times, the most downtrodden part of this land, we are still part of it. We are Americans. We are you."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home